We strongly recommend the use of DYMO LabelWriter printers, as they offer the most automated and integrated solution. The following are our recommended hardware components, though they are certainly not the only ones that you can use.
- A PC or Mac (DYMO printers are not supported on other devices, such as iOS and Android devices)
- Recommended Printer: DYMO LabelWriter 450 (~$90) or DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo (~$120).
- Recommended Labels: We recommend the Dymo 30336 (White 1" x 2-1/8" Labels) labels (~$10.99 for 500 labels), but there are other label types you can use.
The DYMO LabelWriter Wireless printer does work with CellarTracker, however like the others, it still requires a PC or Mac to print the labels.
For simple, one-at-a-time scanning of barcodes, you can use our free mobile apps as a handheld scanner. If you expect to perform lots of bulk scanning, and want to easily relocate bottles using the scanner, a separate handheld device that connects to your PC or Mac will be best. We currently use 8 digit Interleaved 2 of 5 (ITF) as the barcode format for per-bottle labels and Code 128 Auto for per-wine labels; any 1D barcode scanner should work, as long as it is capable of reading these symbologies.
NEW: As of March 2018, we now officially support QR codes as an alternate barcode format. If you are primarily scanning with the mobile apps, and/or you have a 2D capable handheld scanner, the QR code option may be for you. Recognition of QR codes with the mobile apps is superior to traditional 1D barcodes.
NOTE: For ITF, please make sure your scanner supports Any Length of ITF barcode, and not just a fixed length.
Here are a few scanners we've had success with:
- Wired Barcode Scanner: CipherLab 1070 (~$40, USB, model #A1070CBS0U001); Buy on BarcodeDiscount.
- Wireless Barcode Scanner: CipherLab 1560 (~$260, USB base, model #A1560CBK0H002); Buy on BarcodeDiscount.
- Wireless Pocket Laser Barcode Scanner: Scanfob® 2006 for Windows (Scanfob® is a registered trademark of Serialio Ltd.), Mac OS X, iOS: Bluetooth (~$299); Buy on serialio.com.
(No built-in Bluetooth on Windows or Mac? Also get this USB Bluetooth adapter: (~$54 ); Buy on serialio.com)
- Wireless Mobile Barcode Scanner: Socket CHS 7Ci (~$230, Bluetooth, more info).
- QR Code Capable Scanner: Zebra DS2208 (wired) and DS2278 (wireless): more info (requires scanning configuration barcode to send Enter/CR after each scan). Two other options to consider (though we do not have any personal experience with them) are the AirTrack S2 (and S2-W) and SocketScan S740.
- Socket scanners: Socket barcode scanners may need to enable support for scanning ANY LENGTH of ITF barcode. That can be done with this PDF configuration file. Just scan the proper barcode.
- CipherLab scanners: Mac users of OSX with CipherLab scanners need to configure their scanner to 'Transmit By Character' with this PDF configuration file.